D. M. Gremlin Productions - Forums

Lighting Technique - Shooting into a softbox

Author:  D. M. Gremlin [ Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Lighting Technique - Shooting into a softbox

Actually I tried this the other night with an umbrella and it does the same thing.  Any light source will do, though softboxes are nice since they frame your subject for you.  

Basically, you point your camera directly into the softbox - and then put a model in between your camera and the softbox and take pictures.  Attached are some examples of the effect.

Author:  Stud [ Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lighting Technique - Shooting into a softbox

Dam , never thought of doing it like that !!!!

Embarassed

Cool idea , time to test that on my next model

Author:  wynnesome [ Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:38 pm ]

Cool shots, hm? Actually have a shot in mind for this technique for a shoot I'll be doing tomorrow.

Give it a try and post your shots, I would love to see what you do with it!

Author:  paindancer [ Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:15 am ]

Hmmm. Not like I have been doing much with shadows lately. Smile Very very cool.

Author:  wynnesome [ Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:21 am ]

Got a few cool ones shooting into the big octagon last night - gotta show them to the model in finished form first - and hopefully later today or tomorrow will get them posted here.

Actually I think silhouette is something every photographer should play with in some form. It forces you to become very aware of composition, positive and negative space, and how the camera "sees" certain perspectives in body position, because all you've got is the blocked-out shape of the body in the image. Good exercise for the eye and observation, even if it's not a style of image you want for your portfolio.

Author:  wynnesome [ Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:30 am ]

Ok, I can post a couple of these shots now.

I always jokingly call the big Octabox the "big freaking throw light everywhere box" because for most of my personal shooting, I'm trying to keep light off of more areas than I'm putting light onto!

But, I decided I had a good use for it in the "shooting into the softbox" technique, which I hadn't done any of in over a year, since doing a few on the big 2x4 box with Jenessa for her maternity shoot. (That shoot is on my gallery, here: http://www.starkravenmusic.com/gallery/main.php/v/commercial/Jenessa/)

In Friday's shoot, we made a little more use of the shape of the box itself, and then got a little crazy with a metal chair loaned to the studio by Tom Bowen of Vintage Vista. Sometimes a chair is not a chair - just a visually interesting metal grid!

Here are a couple of images from the "shooting into the softbox" part of the shoot. The entire shoot can be seen on my gallery site, here: http://www.starkravenmusic.com/gallery/main.php/v/Models/2008/ogechi/

Model: Ogechi - http://www.modelmayhem.com/therealogechi

Author:  littlegett [ Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:18 am ]
Post subject: 

Good stuff, just more of the stuff I have dreampt of playing with

Author:  wynnesome [ Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:46 pm ]

Smile Come on down again sometime and play.

: