D. M. Gremlin Productions - Forums

June 27 Studio Open House - EVENT PHOTOS!

Author:  wynnesome [ Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:40 am ]
Post subject:  June 27 Studio Open House - EVENT PHOTOS!

Hey all, the "pre-event" discussion thread was already 4 pages long, so starting a new one for the photos and chats about the event itself!

I just want to say, great atmosphere, great shooting, great music and fun tonight! I can see everyone making a real effort to exchange contact information, use the model releases, and respect other photographers getting their shots set up. I think this all really helped the event run smoothly tonight!

So on to the images... I was already sent one image by Jon Ewing... I'll post it in a moment. Can hardly wait to see more. Everyone looked fantastic in their costumes and makeup. It was so terrific to see everyone getting into the spirit of the theme.

And of course as always we owe such thanks to Adam for putting together an awesome set, Amy for contributing the "gear" centerpiece, Lisa for makeup and bodypainting, Lee for endless assistance, Killjoy for a rockin' performance, and everyone who brought their energy to the night's festivities. And hooray we had our "gore corner" back cause Andrew made it again! Also special thank you to Ken and Pearl for staying late to help me with some of the cleanup to make it easier for me to transition back into "regular studio booking" setup tomorrow morning!

Author:  wynnesome [ Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:53 am ]
Post subject:  Re: June 27 Studio Open House - EVENT PHOTOS!

Photo by Jon Ewing.

Someone joked that Adam is going to have to start a modeling profile pretty soon. I think so - he's been very much photographed at the last few Open House nights.

I just love this photo of Adam with Henry... so a big thanks to Jon to sending this right over.

Author:  littlegett [ Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:13 am ]

Guess I was chop liver for the night 6-; L()L

Author:  littlegett [ Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:13 am ]

Author:  littlegett [ Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:14 am ]

Author:  littlegett [ Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:15 am ]

Author:  littlegett [ Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:16 am ]

Author:  littlegett [ Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:32 am ]

Author:  littlegett [ Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:33 am ]

Author:  littlegett [ Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:35 am ]

Author:  littlegett [ Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:36 am ]

Author:  NevaehLleh [ Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:36 am ]

Hoooooly crap! I love the one of Meggy sitting and the one of Chris with his hands over his face! Sooooo awesome.

Go Andrew! Go Andrew! See you Tuesday.

Author:  misspixie [ Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:01 am ]

I have to agree with Rosie. I love the one of Megan sitting too. Great shots Andrew!

Author:  NevaehLleh [ Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:16 am ]

Yay Pixie and I finally got to work together!

Author:  wynnesome [ Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:55 am ]

littlegett @ Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:13 am wrote:
Guess I was chop liver for the night 6-; L()L

Ah, I'm sorry Andrew. I always forget SOMEBODY in my "who was here and awesome lists" - especially at 5am or whatever. I'm so glad you were here... and that we get to hang out more on Tuesday.

That's a LOT of great photos! Wow you got busy in a hurry!

Besides, you aren't the chop liver - you make everyone ELSE look like chop liver!

Author:  dwingephotography [ Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:30 am ]

Fantastic images Andrew!!!!

Author:  paindancer [ Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:38 pm ]

Ok, here is a end of the night shot, first one I have processed from the night:

Author:  paindancer [ Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:43 pm ]

Of Kim's debut:

Author:  paindancer [ Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:49 pm ]

Steampunk Pixie

Author:  paindancer [ Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:07 pm ]

Finally, one of steam tech support, with some foolery with photoshop...

Author:  hitpoint [ Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:26 pm ]
Post subject: 

Fantastic editing job on that one. The desaturation/vignette totally complements the theme.

Author:  Groovaciousk [ Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:18 pm ]

2707 of littleget's is balls on! Love it!

Author:  Groovaciousk [ Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:21 pm ]

2651 of Littlegett's is my fav of the night posted!

Author:  hitpoint [ Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:07 pm ]

Thanks, Wendy, by the way, for posting the shot of Adam and Henry. I'm really happy you liked it. Smile

Author:  wynnesome [ Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:20 pm ]

No problem. I didn't know if you were going to join... or would have left it for you to post. But it was great to start our thread with an image so quickly! Nice to see more... Ah, Chris and his blue sea-god-ness!

Author:  Adam Chilson [ Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:23 am ]

Lovin' the images coming out of this one. Makes me think we should plan a dedicated steampunk theme day.

Here's Frenzy. . . not very steampunk, but showing off Lisa's work.

Author:  wynnesome [ Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:11 am ]

Everyone so jumped into the spirit of this theme - it was fantastic to see the event take on a life if its own from the idea almost a month in advance, and carried through Friday night.

Dedicated Steampunk day would rock. I know there were a couple people who couldn't make this one who were really bummed to miss this theme.

I still have this idea for a thing I want to build, too. Open House just wouldn't have been the time or place for it. Might build it for Burning Man, and then if we do a full on Steampunk day before that, or even after, all the better!

Author:  hitpoint [ Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:16 am ]

By the way, if anyone would be so gracious as to take a look at the picture of Adam and Henry and let me know if I should make the trek to Canon USA to fix the banding on ISO3200, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Author:  crimzon [ Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:49 am ]

Adam:
Fantastic shot, as always.

Wynesome: Steampunk v.2? Sounds good to me.

Andrew: Zesty mint ! ! !

hitpoint:
I wasn't able to see any banding on the shot until i messed with the levels to really brighten it up. What camera are you using (couldnt find it under the ITPC data)?

I have this happen a bit with my Digital Rebel (300D), particularly when I push a few stops past the max 1600 (stock firmware). I didn't know this could be fixed and assumed it was a limitation of the chip. How do they (Canon USA) go about fixing this?

Author:  hitpoint [ Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:57 pm ]
Post subject: 

It really shows up on my screen. But then again, my Macbook Pro has been known to shine brilliantly.

I'm working with a 40D. I find it interesting that you say you were able to push your 300D past ISO1600... how do you go about doing that?

Canon USA down in Irvine takes your camera and repairs... something inside it. The sensor maybe? If it's under warranty and they find banding, they replace it for free.

Author:  paindancer [ Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:52 pm ]
Post subject: 

Would totally be down with a SP2.0. There are a lot of concepts I didnt get to really work with bouncing around my head. We might benefit from dual sets as well.

Author:  crimzon [ Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:11 pm ]

I dunno if it has to do with the screen. I've my CRT calibrated (roughly, using Adobe Gamma) and tuned for proper brightness and contrast. I know LCDs have a habit of being a bit o the bright side (they're tricky to calibrate too). But the noise appeared really low, especially for that high of an ISO.

As for pushing my 300d, that was done through photoshop, specifically the RAW convertor. It will let you push or pull up to 4 stops, but it isn't pretty. FYI: If you're not interested in sharp and clear, then this works just fine. Far better to shoot at proper exposure for clean images though.

The banding that shows up on mine is only at high iso and when I push stops. Also, it tends to happen at different levels with different colors, which leads me to believe that this is some type of (electronic) reciprocity failure. Being CMOS and CCDs alike cannot differentiate color, and are passed through a Bayer filter, I wonder if this has to do with both of them. But then, why band and not stay even across the whole frame? Hmmm. Dunno.

Anyhow, I haven't noticed any image degradation over time and only shows up under extreme software conditions, so I don't think the chip is bad. Besides, the warranty is probably out anyhow (got it in spring of 2005). Rather than mess with the chip, I'd be better going to a better camera altogether, like a 5D (wish list!).

Author:  Sarahface [ Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:50 pm ]
Post subject: 

Loving the images that are coming out!! Fantastic everyone!!

And since I was the gore victim of the night ... long live the zesty mint!!!

Author:  irulan_amy [ Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:31 pm ]

All the images so far are great! I am all for another steampunk theme. I really want to put together a costume - I was very inspired by everyone's awesome outfits. Smile

Author:  Adam Chilson [ Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:35 am ]

Steampunk Pixie

The overall effect of putting a light inside the lantern was pretty cool. Might be something to approach with some planning for another round.

Author:  wynnesome [ Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:15 pm ]

Very half-formed thought coming out of the "light inside of something" concept - it's telling me it makes for the potential of some interesting environments, if lights can be all the more inside of things... hm, can't say this clearly yet. If a light is just behind something, it can entail working angles carefully to make sure to avoid seeing that light, behind a model, or from the "open" side of something it's behind. If there were a few lights inside of objects in an environment, it lends to giving a wider range of motion inside a larger set, as the model interacts with several lit areas. And of course the lantern is a light carried right with the model.

Drawbacks too... model moving closer and further from lights - I think what I'm seeing is that there could almost be a street type environment containing lighting as part of its environment, where normally that kind of setting wouldn't have enough light for good photography. Yet the environment could be very open, without a bunch of lights and stands in the way, because the lights are inside of things.

Like I said. Unclear on quite the application, but I'm seeing potential for more application of this, anyone follow?

Author:  LuminonPhotography [ Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:57 pm ]

Yes! Cool! Slaved speed lights inside all sorts of things. I'm in!

Author:  Martini [ Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:21 pm ]

I captured this candid of Wendy and Henry during the open house and the contrast created by the red wall, white reflector and Wendy's hair turned out to be nice (I think)...

Author:  wynnesome [ Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:56 pm ]

Yay for Henry! Thank you so much Martin for re-posting this with the other Open House images!

Author:  hitpoint [ Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:58 pm ]

Well, hey, I appreciate the tips. I'll probably just decide to live with it. You're right; at ISO3200, it does a remarkable job.

Author:  leeland [ Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:05 am ]

Sorry it took me so long to get these up, but as it was obvious on Saturday I was a bit under the weather as they say.
Here are some of Pixie that I got while no one was looking.
Lee

Author:  leeland [ Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:07 am ]

and one more it won't let me upload.

Author:  littlegett [ Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:24 pm ]

Those are some fun images Leeland.

Here are a couple I was just playing around with.

However, for some strange reason I did not get any (except for a couple wide angle candids) with the theme set L()L.

Author:  littlegett [ Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:54 am ]

Blue Man Frenzy Version

Author:  wynnesome [ Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:09 am ]

I LOVE the butterfly one - it really seems to stand as a finished piece.

Author:  Battledress Paint N Body [ Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:50 pm ]

Ohhh. Looks like a bit of fungal infection in that nail.....
Might wanna have that looked at.....

Author:  crimzon [ Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:31 am ]

Fun at Gremlins w/ Killjoy.

Author:  crimzon [ Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:32 am ]

and some more.

Serious photos coming up (feat. Frenzy).
Stay tuned.

Author:  crimzon [ Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:05 pm ]

Presenting... Frenzy:
The first photo is probably one of my fav photos (of everything I've ever shot). As much as I would like to take credit for it, it simply would not have happened without our amazing painter, Lisa, our lighting genius, Adam, our wonderful model, Frenzy, and of course, the one who provided the facilities in which to make it all happen, Wendy.
I give a tremendous thanks to all of you.

Tech notes for those interested: Altered the lights just a little for the last four shots. No photoshop work but for the logo, with the exception of the last (fifth) shot. I tweaked the color temperature slightly and pushed it a little. . .
what the heck, why am I going over the boring details. . .go enjoy the images already! Very Happy

Author:  crimzon [ Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:06 pm ]

. .

Author:  leeland [ Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:20 am ]

If anyone is interested in part of how we did that on Frenzy the 1st video is up on youtube at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrUTjSti-u4
I'll be posting more soon.

Nice work on the Frenzy photos by the way folks.

: