D. M. Gremlin Productions - Forums

Adam Chilson Photography Workshop - June 29th - with EVENT PHOTOS!

Author:  wynnesome [ Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Adam Chilson Photography Workshop - June 29th - with EVENT PHOTOS!

Today's workshop with Adam, Lisa, and Brittani was a phenomenal success. The day ran super smoothly, we covered foundations of lighting, basic black and white sets, fitness, glamour, clean white backdrop, and then a full bodypaint/makeup look on our fantastic Steampunk "gears" set! That's a LOT of shooting and portfolio images for all who took part!

I cannot say enough how much talent goes into one of these events. Adam and Lisa are absolutely the top of their respective arts, and an incredible team on top of that. To be around the artistic excellence, and the camaraderie, makes for an absolutely unforgettable experience, each and every time. I'm pretty sure everyone who participated took away even more than they expected - and since I talk these things up pretty good, that's saying a LOT!

I will have some "candid" images to post - as soon as I get my film back! Actually I shot just a handful of digitals. I don't like to pull a Pocket Wizard away from any of the participants, so I just shoot what I can in the ambient light, and my b/w film is best for that. Should have a few nice shots coming back, and another group portrait on the medium format camera. Gotta pull that beast out just to keep counter to the digital world every now and then!

Meanwhile I'll post a couple of the digital candids, I know Adam shot some great candids of the final set, to show the lighting and setup, and I very much hope that our participants will also post their images from the day. We had some wonderful poses and ideas, and I hope everyone will get to see and enjoy them!

Author:  wynnesome [ Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Adam Chilson Photography Workshop - June 29th

So here are those digital candids - seriously, shooting like f1.4 at 1/20th in the dim-to-dark room... so pardon the depth of field and the fuzzies. This isn't me "being a photographer," just documenting a few memories from a wonderful event, as a preview of images yet to come.

And a couple snapshots showing our participants. The group shot from lunchtime will be better, gotta love film for its "not so instant" gratification factor teaching us patience!

Author:  Martini [ Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:18 pm ]

The event was fantastic and I learned a lot about how real pictures are made! (screw Maxim's pics LOL)

Adam is a great guy and a pretty darn good instructor, his lighting techniques knowledge is incredible. I hope this is not the last time we have an event "light" this.

Thanks Adam!
PS: Here are some of my shots from the June 29 event.

Author:  wynnesome [ Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:29 pm ]

Hooray, our first "real" stuff back from the workshop! Martin, thank you again so much for being a part of it, and I'm very happy you enjoyed it so much!

There's our motto for the day - "REAL pictures, not Maxim!"

And of course I adore the photo of me with Henry - but that one was from Open House on Friday! Would you terribly mind putting it up in that thread instead? That would be so great. If it was posted by itself, I could just "move" this post, but since it's in with the workshop images, I can't move one of the images without moving all of them. I can delete that single image from this message though, if you aren't sure how to do that.

Thank you so much once again, and feel free to post more images if you want to - but these are terrific!

Author:  Mariah [ Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:45 am ]

Figured I'd pop in and post some images.

Had a lot of fun learning where to put lights and where not to put them. I feel like I've been let in on a secret or something.

Thanks for putting up with the kid, guys.

Author:  Mariah [ Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:46 am ]

Here's one from the gear set.

Author:  wynnesome [ Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:05 pm ]

Nice job Mariah, and I think we all feel happy to share the "secrets." Maybe it's better to say "insights," since Adam seems so happy to share them, and then it's fun to share them and help the next person in turn.

We like "putting up with" you. Keep hanging around so we can do it some more!

Author:  Battledress Paint N Body [ Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:48 pm ]

I still can't believe those are her real eyelashes......

Author:  wynnesome [ Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:18 am ]

A couple of b/w film shots from the proceedings of the workshop.

Shot in the ambient light, no flashes.

Author:  wynnesome [ Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:03 am ]

A very sun-squinty group portrait at lunch. And the watermelon.

: