D. M. Gremlin Productions - Forums

Dec 4th - Last Open House of 2009 - 6pm-midnight - with EVENT PHOTOS!

Author:  wynnesome [ Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:25 am ]
Post subject:  Dec 4th - Last Open House of 2009 - 6pm-midnight - with EVENT PHOTOS!

Monthly Studio Open House for November/December will be 12/4, 6pm-midnight.

Full event information at http://www.starkravenmusic.com/openhouse.html

Our last Open House of the year will be tucked neatly in between the Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday madness.
Close out the year with us and enjoy live music from D. M. Gremlin Studios recording artists The Natives and Travis Peery!

We're also offering our customary studio tours, casual open shooting, and industry networking in a relaxed studio setting.

RSVP policy:
If you've been here before, no RSVP required for yourself.
If you are bringing guests who have not been here before, either:
a) RSVP with number of people you are bringing; or
b) have each of your guests RSVP on their own behalf
If you have never been here before, please RSVP including number of people coming with you.

All RSVP's should be made to studio@dm-gremlin.com, and due by 48 hours in advance of the event - for the 12/4 Open House, the RSVP deadline is 6pm on 12/2.

Thank you!

Author:  wynnesome [ Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:41 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Dec 4th - Last Open House of 2009 - 6pm-midnight - with EVENT PHOTOS!

What a fun way to close out the year of Open House events.

We had a fantastic mix of regulars and new artists met for the first time tonight.

Wonderful live music performances from Travis Peery and The Natives.

More and more photographers and models are bringing print portfolios, and it's really enjoyable to pass those around and see each others' work in print form.

Photos from the live music performances to come, but here are a couple of fun snapshots of Nev, Hourglass, and Josh checking out the 3-D Phantagram photography books recently donated to the studio by Barry Rothstein.

Author:  fullstop [ Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Dec 4th - Last Open House of 2009 - 6pm-midnight - with EVENT PHOTOS!

Thanks, Wendy, for your hospitality, your studio is awesome and rates amazing. Hope to be able to rent the facility very soon.

Norm

Author:  wynnesome [ Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:26 pm ]

You're totally welcome, and thank you so much for posting this shot of Travis. I'm just about to post a few snapshots myself - I really like the mood of your black and white!

Author:  wynnesome [ Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:32 pm ]

A couple snapshots of Travis performing his acoustic set.

Author:  fullstop [ Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:42 pm ]

wynnesome @ Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:26 pm wrote:
You're totally welcome, and thank you so much for posting this shot of Travis. I'm just about to post a few snapshots myself - I really like the mood of your black and white!

LOL, thanks -- that's just to cover up the poor quality of the actual picture Wink

Author:  wynnesome [ Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:47 pm ]

No worries Norm, it's the kind of photo situation where you can:
a) blast tons of light from a flash, and totally lose the mood/ambiance of the venue
b) shoot super high ISO with resultant noise and limited lit areas,
c) try and balance flash and ambient to best compromise, manually/on the fly, and end up with color temperature mismatches that have to be minimized in post. Course b/w also gets rid of color temp differences!

I went with option c ... did lots of compensating in post, and they're far from stellar photos! Just event snapshots to show a little of the fun we had at the Open House. Smile

Author:  wynnesome [ Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:19 am ]

A handful of shots from The Natives' performance.

Band members, from left to right:
Guitarist Keith Franklin, drummer Nick Vullo, vocalist/guitarist Dave Malcom, bass player Neil Schoffstall.

The Natives can be found online at http://www.myspace.com/thenativesmusic.

Author:  wynnesome [ Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:42 am ]

Great attitude from vocalist/guitarist David and bass player Neil.

Author:  wynnesome [ Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:50 am ]

Moments in the spotlight: a few closeups.

Author:  fullstop [ Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:21 am ]

wynnesome @ Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:47 pm wrote:
No worries Norm, it's the kind of photo situation where you can:
a) blast tons of light from a flash, and totally lose the mood/ambiance of the venue
b) shoot super high ISO with resultant noise and limited lit areas,
c) try and balance flash and ambient to best compromise, manually/on the fly, and end up with color temperature mismatches that have to be minimized in post. Course b/w also gets rid of color temp differences!

I went with option c ... did lots of compensating in post, and they're far from stellar photos! Just event snapshots to show a little of the fun we had at the Open House. Smile

Yep, I went with options b and c, but decided I liked the look of b better ... but really didn't take that many pics, just there to take in the atmosphere Smile

Author:  wynnesome [ Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:19 am ]

Some of the events are more photo-oriented than others. This was the least so in a few months... last couple of times we had fire-breathers out back (fun to shoot) and Halloween costumes....

Probably next month or two we'll set up a particular shoot within Open House again for one of the events! Smile

: