D. M. Gremlin Productions - Forums

New mic demo coming soon!

Author:  wynnesome [ Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:15 pm ]
Post subject:  New mic demo coming soon!

Hi all, this is wynnesome, recording engineer-currently-at-large, and an associate of D.M. Gremlin Productions. ?I want to let everyone know that within the next days and weeks I will be starting a new series of engineering "clinics" here in the forums. ?I'll be covering a number of topics, including microphone demonstrations/comparisons, suggestions for getting the most out of your home (or pro!) recording gear, and some discussions of my current area of specialty, audio mastering. ?There will be audio samples posted for each topic, specifics of gear and settings used, and of course the forums will be open for posting questions, comments, and your own examples. ?
First up on the list will be a demonstration/review of the new MXL 604 small-diaphragm condenser instrument mic, which just came in! ?I'm going to showcase this mic with some acoustic guitar tracks recorded in the home studio, and compare in reference to some tracks recorded in a high-end pro studio.
I'm looking forward to putting this brand-new product to the test, and hope you will check back to read and listen to the results.

Author:  D. M. Gremlin [ Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: New mic demo coming soon!

Hey there - welcome to the forums!  Good to see you here.  I used to do some mic comparisons here before, I'll try and get some of the old posts transferred over as soon as possible so you can check out how the format used to be should you choose to use that for inspiration in your comparisons.  

I just shipped out a few of those new 604s today, and they're pretty snazzy looking.  They look just like the 603Ss but they have a switch on the side to choose between normal, a 10db pad and a bass rolloff.  They've got a swappable capsule to choose between omni-directional and cardioid patterns and come in a really snazzy wooden case.  I wonder if the circuitry is the same and if they sound anything like the 603S.  I actually had an audio clip comparison up of an 603S vs a Neumann KM184 in a previous post that I'll be trying to restore shortly.  I can't wait to hear your results.

Author:  D. M. Gremlin [ Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: New mic demo coming soon!

Ok, I transferred some of the old posts & audio clips over - check it out   Wink

I couldn't keep the any of the old usernames so all of the usernames that aren't mine in any of these discussions are now 'guest'.

: